Sunday, March 11, 2007

Hi Lisa,

I wanted to share something with you. When I was on my way back from picking up Pookie, I was listening to radio. After a while, the station faded out. So I hit to the scan button to find something else. The first station was airing a program called "The Pet Show". You’re probably familiar with it, but I’d never heard it before. Within the first minute, I heard a quote which I want to share with you. I may be an “old softy”, and bit emotional seeing Pookie snoozing in the back seat, but this quite literally brought tears to my eyes.

He said:

“Once you save a dog's life, they will pay you back everyday for the rest of theirs"

Thanks again for helping bring Pookie to us.

BryanPookie with her new brothers.

Pookie, now known as Nia (pronounced N-EYE-YA) is doing great! We’ve had no problems with her at all. She’s a wonderful dog, and a great companion. She’s had no accidents, hardly barks, and at bedtime she runs into her crate and curls up and goes to sleep. She’s also a joy to walk. She doesn’t pull at all on the lead. Usually, the lead just hangs loose. She’s content to walk at my side. Wow, I’ve never had dog do that! She may have been a rescue dog, but she certainly was trained well, at some point. Nia has no shyness, or timid behavior problems either. That could have been due to her surrounding, and being stuck in a noisy shelter. She’s quite the snuggle-bug, and loves curling up next to you.

Nia has settled in so well, it’s hard to remember when she wasn’t with us. We consider ourselves very lucky. Friends of ours have often remarked after meeting Nia that “If I knew it would be like her, I’d get a dog too” . That’s when you know she’s made a good impression. Some of these comments have even come from “non-dog” people. (Personally, I don’t know how anyone could be a non-dog person, but strangely, they do exist)

I will say, a few stuffed animal toys have not fared well since Nia arrived. She really enjoys finding out what makes them so soft. It’s almost comical. She’s not content until every bit of stuffing has been removed and laid in a big pile. Once, she had so much of it up, she looked like she was laying in a puffy white cloud. (Dang, I wish I had a picture of that) I hear this is typical of pointers.

Oh, in case you’re wondering, the name Nia is actually short for “Iphigenia“. She was the daughter of Agamemnon, leader of the Greek forces at Troy. I took a Greek Tragedy class about 20 years ago. Her name is sort of a tribute to my professor who had such enthusiasm and energy, he was able to make that dreadful class tolerable.

No comments: